Travel and transport

If you want to find a community transport scheme in your local area try searching here on Staffordshire Connects.

Community transport providers can help you to get out and about if you find it very difficult or impossible to use public transport. They offer a range of door to door transport services to allow you to participate more fully in society, to travel to lunch clubs, hospital visiting, adult education classes, shopping, leisure or simply visiting friends.

Here on Staffordshire Connects you can also find details of mobility organisations where you can hire or purchase a wide range of mobility and transport aids from.

Please note: Some groups, services and activities may have changed how they operate. Please check websites, ring, email or contact the service via social media if you would like to find out what support is available.

Browse by subject

How do I get help with planning a journey?

If you need information about planning a journey by train or bus, you can can find information on the Staffordshire County Council website.

There are links to bus and train timetables, as well as updates to bus services and how to apply for a bus pass.

How do I apply for a blue badge?

Blue badges are for drivers, passengers or children with severe mobility problems and for those who are registered blind.

You can apply online for a blue badge on the Staffordshire Council website.

How do I lease mobility equipment?

The motability scheme provides an affordable, worry-free way for people with disabilities to lease a car, scooter or powered wheelchair in exchange for their mobility allowance.

How can I find a shopmobility scheme?

Shopmobility is a service that helps all people who consider themselves to have mobility problems to get around town centres independently, with freedom, confidence and dignity.

The National Federation of Shop Mobility has a directory where you find your nearest scheme.

I need support with travelling to attend an medical appointment?

If your reason for going to a medical appintment either at a hospital, clinic or GP surgery is not an emergency, you are normally expected to make your own way there.

Many of the community transport providers listed here on Staffordshire Connects will provide travel to local hospitals, clinics and other medical appointments.  

University Hospitals of North Midlands operates a bus service between Royal Stoke and County Hospital.

Patients, visitors and staff who wish to use this service are required to pre-book their journey at least 24 hours in advance on the Link-Bus booking telephone line. 

Call: 01782 813047 between Monday and Friday, 9am–5pm


How do I find out more about bus passes / railcards?

Bus passes for older or disabled residents

You may qualify for a bus pass if you have a disability. A bus pass allows you to have free travel 24/7 in the Staffordshire County Council area (this does not include the City of Stoke on Trent). It is available at any time to anyone with a County Council issued free bus pass when they board a local bus service anywhere in Staffordshire (excluding the City of Stoke on Trent).

The bus pass also allows for free travel in the rest of England between 9:30am and 11pm on Monday to Friday, and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays. 

Disabled persons railcard

The Disabled persons railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult. It allows disabled people to get 1/3 off adult rail fares for travel on the National Rail network in Great Britain. If you're travelling with another adult they will also get 1/3 off their rail fare.

Add/update your listing Suggest a listing
Skip back to top of page