Equipment and Technology
There is a wide range of equipment, home adaptations and smart technology available to help you maintain your independence.
Many simple devices and apps can also help someone live independently for longer or give you peace of mind as a carer when you can't be around.
How do I search?
Just click on the menu below to find a wide range of shops and online retailers that can support you to find the right product.
You can type in your postcode in the search box above or you can filter by area and then add in key words if you wish to narrow your search.
Please note: Some groups, services and activities may have changed how they operate. Please check websites, ring, email or contact the service via social media if you would like to find out what support is available.
Not listed? It's quick, easy and free to join.
What is there and where can I test equipment out?
Many high street retailers that sell equipment and gadgets will be able to give lots of advice about the products they have and show you how the equipment works.
The Staffordshire County Website has a Happy at Home page where you find some useful advice, information about some suggested products, factsheets and watch some useful videos.
How do I know I'm buying the right thing?
Before you buy or loan any equipment it’s worth getting independent advice. This will make sure the type of equipment you’re getting meets your needs.
These web sites are very helpful:
- The Staffordshire County Website has a Happy at Home page where you find some useful advice, information about some suggested products, factsheets and watch some useful videos.
- AskSara is an easy to use way to get personalised product advice. You can use this to look into ways you can help yourself with daily activities in your own home.
- The Disabled Living Foundation can advise you on choosing a wide range of daily living equipment. If you would like to speak to them, call their helpline on 0300 999 0004.
- NHS Choices provides a guide to care equipment, aids and adaptations.
- The Money Advice Service has guidance about shopping for disability aids and equipment. This includes how and where to shop around for the most suitable product at the cheapest price.
Where can I buy or loan equipment and aids?
There is a wide range of gadgets and equipment available to purchase from the high street or through homeware catalogues and online retailers.
You can find details of these retailers here on Staffordshire Connects.
To get some useful advice and find products that make daily living easier, go to Ask Sara.
What is telecare?
Telecare consists of equipment that supports your safety and independence in your own home. It includes sensors or alarms.
The equipment can sense risks, remind you to take pills and even call for help if you fall. A help centre can be contacted automatically if any of these problems occur and can arrange for someone to come to your home or can contact your family, doctor or emergency services.
Where can I get telecare from?
Here are the details of some telecare providers across Staffordshire and how to sign up for the support:
Details about other providers can be found here on Staffordshire Connects