Equipment aids and adaptations - disabled facilities grant

There is a wide range of equipment, home adaptations and smart technology available to help you maintain your independence. A few handy gadgets around the home can really make a difference to your quality of life.  Visit Staffordshire County Council webiste for more information on equipment for children and adults.

For people with disabilities, the extent to which their home supports their needs and what they want to do can have a major impact on their confidence and also on carers. 

If you live in the Staffordshire area, please contact Staffordshire Cares on 0300 111 8010 and if appropriate forwarded to your local district who will continue the process.

What we do

Understanding how your home can work for you

Some of these options may alter over time, particularly as the young person matures into an adult and may want support to attain independent living outside of the parental home.

They will be able to provide support for purchasing the correct equipment and services, outside of the social care and health system, if that is the preferred option. They are also able to provide full project management support for adaptations using suppliers who you can trust.

This advice can be sought at any time and can also involve some longer term considerations as well as responding to immediate need. This can involve referrals to official health and care services, but can also include other services available from your local community.

If your current home needs adapting

The service can give you help and support to adapt your home even if you choose to fund this yourself. For those who choose to self-fund, this service will ensure that you get the right adaptations, with appropriate guarantees from reputable suppliers. The provider can also project manage the whole process for you, for a fee.

For those who do not self-fund, a disabled facilities grant is available from your local council, which could help towards the cost of providing adaptations and facilities in your home. These adaptations must be to make caring for your child easier or to increase your child's level of independence at home. The grant is paid if your council considers that the proposed changes are necessary to meet your child's needs, and that the work is both reasonable and practical depending on the age and condition of the property.

This can include major adaptations such as extensions and structural work to accommodate, for example, a ceiling track hoist, stairlift, widened doorways, an external ramp, or a downstairs bathroom.

An assessment of your circumstances and home environment will happen before any required adaptation(s) are recommended.

Any proposed work must have planning permission and fall within building regulations.

What about moving into an adapted property or supporting a young adult in finding independent accommodation?

There are different options depending on where you currently reside, and where you want to reside to be able to lead the lifestyle that you want. The provider can discuss all these options and then support you in finding a suitable property and this may be far less disruptive and expensive than extended building work.

Who can use the service?

You can apply if the answer to the following four statements is yes:

  • You or the child living in your property, is disabled.
  • You, or the child on whose behalf you are applying, are the owner or tenant of the property.
    Note: a landlord may apply on behalf of a disabled tenant.
  • You are willing to certify that you, or the child on whose behalf you are applying, intend to occupy the property as your/their main or only residence throughout the 5 year grant period.
  • You, or the child on whose behalf you are applying, live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
    Note: Scottish residents should contact their local social services department for information on their home improvement grants.
Are there any costs?

The maximum grant that can be awarded in England is £30,000, less any assessed contribution. The grant will only be paid on work assessed as necessary, and when the council or home improvement agency are satisfied that the work has been carried out.

Always check what help is available before starting work on your home to make it suitable for you or your child. Grants will not usually be provided retrospectively.

Disabled facilities grants are not means tested so long as the grant is provided to meet the needs of a disabled child (under 19 years of age).

Families who need to adapt their home for a person over the age of 19 will have to go through a means test or financial assessment. When aged 19 or over, the person with the disability is tested. This test (based on a person's ability to pay) is intended to target help towards the most needy, and it looks at income, savings and expenditure. The grant awarded can then vary from 0 to 100% of the cost of the work assessed as necessary.

For more information on disabled facilities grants, see the Direct Gov website.

How can I refer?

If the adaptations are for a child, you can arrange for an assessment by contacting First Response on telephone: 0800 1313 126 (Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm and Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm) or email

If the adaptations are for an adult, you can contact Staffordshire Cares on 0300 111 8010 to speak to an Advisor.

Contact your local district or borough council for more information.

What happens after referral?

With your consent your referral will go to your local district council who will continue the process and make contact to complete any required actions, this may include a financial assessment, a professional assessment and technical visit. 

Who will we see?

Normally a trusted assessor from the Housing Industry Association or an occupational therapist, who will work with you to decide what is required. 

What happens when I become an adult?

These grants are available for all ages, although adults are means-tested for ability to pay, so there may be a cost.

How do I find out more?

The Gov.UK website has information on disabled facilities grants including:

  • What you'll get.
  • Eligibility criteria.


Save to Shortlist
Skip back to top of page