Skip to main content

We are running a consultation on the Staffordshire Connects website and we are looking for feedback. Please share your thoughts on our consultation.


Financial support is different for everyone depending on what you need. Your Personal Adviser will talk through this with you on an individual basis, using the Care Leavers financial regulation. 

The financial regulations are currently under review to make sure that they offer everyone what they need, and so our financial offer may change in the future. 

We are piloting pre-payment cards as a more flexible way of supporting you financially. This will be particularly helpful if you're unable to open a bank account. 

We will try to help you financially, including: 

  • We will give you a leaving care grant of up to £2,000, to help you buy essential things when moving into your own home. 
  • We will pay your council tax up to the age of 21, once all relevant benefits are considered. 
  • We will provide or tell you about relevant money management courses
  • We will support you to access your junior ISA or Child Trust Fund
  • We will support you to open a bank account
  • We will support you to get your important identification documents, such as a passport and/or provisional driving licence before your eighteenth birthday
  • We will support you to get your National Insurance number 
  • We will offer exceptional financial support in emergencies
  • We will give you a financial gift at birthdays and christmas or other celebrations

Claiming Universal Credit

We work in partnership with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), to support you to plan and claim Universal Credit. Your PA will work with you to prepare your universal credit claim and support you to attend an interview with an identified DWP representative. There is a 5-week delay in receiving the first payment, we will offer financial support during these period provided you are working alongside DWP.  

Additional information for unaccompanied Asylum-Seeking Children

If you are an unaccompanied asylum-seeking child in the care of the Local Authority you will be supported to make your claim for asylum and to access an immigration solicitor who is able to claim legal aid to support you with your claim.  Your carer or allocated worker will help you to attend your appointments with the Home Office and your solicitor and will attend with you if you would like them to.