Education Banding Tool - Element 3: Band Levels & Top Up Funding
This document details the published financial values approved by Staffordshire County Council’s Element 3 top-up funding which is met from the High Needs Block for Children and Young People.
Element 3 top-up funding is the funding required over and above the place funding to enable a child or young person with high needs to participate in education and learning.
Maintained and Academy schools will continue to receive Element 1 and Element 2 funding direct.
Element 1 funding is the Age Weighted Pupil Unit (AWPU) – this money is given by the government via the Local Authority and pays for the basic costs for every child in the school regardless of any special educational need (SEN). It's normally said to cover staffing and premises costs. It is sometimes called the “bums on seat” money.
Element 2 funding is to provide SEN support that is additional to or different from the support that most other children get.
The financial values detailed will take effect from April 2021 and will apply to children and young people placed in:
- Maintained and academy mainstream schools
- Maintained and academy special schools
- Independent mainstream schools
- Staffordshire maintained and academy Pupil Referral Units
- The Education Banding Tool - Element 3 Band Levels & Top Up Funding
- Staffordshire Special School Top Up Rates - EBT
- Staffordshire Pupil Referral Units (PRUs) - Element 3 Top Up Funding "TRIG-8"
- Document Owner: Lesley Calverley, Senior Commissioning Manager. SEND Responsible officer: Tim Moss, Assistant Director for Education, Strategy and Learning Skills
- Element 3 Top Up Funding
- Date Published
- March 2022
- Review Date
- March 2023