Skip to main content

Education for 16-19 years

Information about the education options for children and young people aged 16-19 years with special educational needs.

Looking for a specialist support service?

Please see our directories for more information on:

Use the filters within the directories to search by age, district, areas served, and provider type, such as a commissioned or private service.

Please note:  Staffordshire Connects is a free and impartial service.   Information contained in the SEND Local Offer does not represent a recommendation or endorsement of a service or provider.   For more information please see our disclaimer.  Providers are responsibile for updating their own information.   Please let us know if you would like to suggest a listing and we will contact the provider for you.

I'm looking for a school or college, what are my options?


Our schools and specialist provision directory below holds information about your nearest and catchment schools, independent schools, pupil referral units, resource centres, alternative provision, special schools, independent special schools and support for home educating.

You will also find information on finding a school, accessible schools, school admissions, education for children with health needs who cannot attend school, supporting pupils with medical conditions and our virtual school for looked after children

Sixth form and further education colleges

Our post 16 options page looks at the different options available. Also see our preparing for adulthood pages for more information.

Our sixth form and further education colleges directory below, holds information on Staffordshire mainstream and special school sixth forms, further education and training study programmes and specialist colleges.

Please note: providers are responsible for updating their own information. Please let us know if you would like to suggest a school or setting and we will contact them.

What special educational needs (SEN) support can be put in place?

See our information page on special educational needs (SEN) support in schools and special educational needs (SEN) support in colleges for more information on:

  • Adapting the curriculum and/or environment in schools
  • What support can be provided in mainstream schools
  • What you can do if you disagree with the support provided

The SEND Code of Practice: 0-25 years  provides statutory guidance on the special educational needs and disability (SEND) system for children and young people aged from 0-25 years. also provide the following guides:

Do I need an education health and care plan to access support?

Most young people with special educational needs and disabilities will have their needs met within local mainstream schools or colleges.

Education health and care needs assessments

Some young people may need more help than would normally be provided in a setting. The education health and care needs assessment will look in detail at young person's needs and the support that they require.

Education health and care plans

Education health and care plans are for young people whose special educational needs require more help than would normally be provided in a school or college.

See more information about education health and care needs assessment and plans including:

  • How to request a needs assessment
  • Personal budgets
  • Annual reviews
  • Mediation and SEND tribunals

What are my learning options for post 16?

Check out our Post 16 options page which provides information on

  • education and training, and
  • jobs


Our most recent news articles will be displayed here.
Back to top