Skip to main content

Preparing for adulthood for 11-15 years

Preparing for adulthood can be an exciting time of new opportunities, choices and increased independence but it can also be a difficult and uncertain time for some.  Our preparing for adulthood pages aim to give you information on the choices available.

How can I access careers advice?

Schools and post 16 education providers should support young people to develop high aspirations about employment, independent living and community participation, preparing them for their next stage of education/training and into adult life.

Maintained schools, academies, pupil referral units, further education colleges and providers are required to provide impartial careers guidance to all students from year 8 up to, and including, the age of 18, and for 19-25 year olds with Education, Health and Care Plans.

Where pupils have Education, Health and Care Plans, their annual reviews must, from year 9 at the latest, include a focus on adulthood, including employment.

For more information see our careers, advocacy, support and resources directory.

Do I need an Annual Health Check?

People with a learning disability often have poorer physical and mental health than other people. This does not need to be the case.

Annual health checks are for adults and young people aged 14 or over with a learning disability.

An annual health check helps you stay well by talking about your health and finding any problems early, so you get the right care.

You do not have to be ill to have a health check – in fact, most people have their annual health check when they're feeling well.

Who is eligible?

Anyone aged 14 or over who's on their GP's learning disability register can have a free annual health check once a year.

You can ask to go on this register if you think you have a learning disability. You do not need to be diagnosed with a learning disability to be on the register.

For more information please access the Annual Health Check  page on the NHS Choices Website:

What are my education and training choices after Year 11?

The law says that all young people must be in education or training until at least their 18th birthday.  You have the choice of:

Can you tell more more about transitioning to health or social care services?

The age that young people move from children to adult services can vary depending on the service provider.  We have asked providers to include this information within their individual listing.  If this information is not clear, please let us know and we will contact them for you. 

More information on transition planning and support


Our most recent news articles will be displayed here.
Back to top