Children and young people's autism service in South Staffordshire - Midlands Partnership Foundation Trust (MPFT)
The Children & Young People's Autism Service is the autism service for south Staffordshire.
What we do
We are a dedicated team of professionals offering support to families across south Staffordshire around autism covering both assessment and intervention. We support young people aged 0-19 years registered with a GP in south Staffordshire. Appointments may be over the phone, via video consultation or face to face in a range of locations across south Staffordshire, including Stafford, Lichfield and Burton.
- See our assessment leaflet for some more information on the assessment process.
- Our intervention leaflet provides more information on the support we provide if your child has a diagnosis of autism and how to access it.
Accessing the Service
The service can be accessed by calling 0300 303 0691 between the hours of 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) or by emailing email@example.com
Please note: Referrals into the service can only be made by a professional who has met with the child and family.
Our Multi-disciplinary team will triage all referrals based on the information they have in the referral and may request further information to support a decision such as a teacher liaison form. We welcome any supporting information from parents and carers as part of the referral but information in the referral MUST be based on the professional opinion and it may therefore be more appropriate for another professional such as school to make a referral if they know the child or young person better.
Please use our Children and Young People’s Autism Service referral form (.doc). The completed form should be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org
If an assessment is appropriate, the service will contact the parent/carer to offer a first appointment to obtain developmental history, this would currently be a parent only appointment and can take approx 1 hour to complete via the telephone. Further appointments will be arranged with parents and to see the child or young person face to face. Following this, the multi-disciplinary team (MDT) will review the assessment and formulate if any further information is required to complete the assessment. This could be a school observation or a cognitive assessment for example.
Once the team has completed their assessment, they will talk through the options available, so that together we can plan and agree the best support.
Should a referral not be deemed to be appropriate, practitioners may contact referrers for more information or will signpost the family/young person to other services.
Teacher Liaison form
Find the form here: Children and Young People's Autism Service Teacher Liaison form (.doc)
NB: Teacher Liaison forms can only be accepted when completed by a school or other health professional. When sending your completed form to the team, please ensure it is password protected.
The current situation is generating a lot of anxiety and the Trust is doing all it can to provide support.
MPFT has set up a 24/7 urgent NHS mental health service providing telephone support, advice and triage.
The number to call for people living in South Staffordshire is 0808 196 3002.
- Contact the Children and Young People’s Autism service on 0300 303 0691 - the service is open 9:00am - 5:00pm, Monday to Friday
- Contact the First Response (social care and health) service on 0800 1313 126 - the service is open 8:30am - 5:00pm, Monday to Thursday, and 8:30am - 4:30pm on Friday
Out of hours (evenings, weekends or bank holidays)
- First Response Emergency Duty Team on 0345 604 2886
In the event of a medical emergency please go straight to A&E.
Other Useful Contacts
- Emergency - 999
- Samaritans - 01952 256161 (local call rates) or 01953 116123 (free)
- Mind - 07434 869 248
- ChildLine - 0800 1111
- NSPCC - 0808 800 5000
- NHS (non-emergency) - 111
- Sexual Health Service - 0300 123 0994
- FRANK - 0800 776 600
Workshops, Resources and other information
Visit our website for more information on:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Service updates
- Videos, such as supporting children and young people with anxiety, and managing behaviour.
Who to contact
- Contact Name
- Children and Young People's Autism Service
- 0300 303 0691 between the hours of 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays) 0300 303 0691 between the hours of 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)
- Midlands Partnership Foundation Trust autism service south staffs website
- Scan to visit this website
If you have a specific question relating to the care of your child, please email the service at email@example.com.
All referrals should be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Referral required
- Have staff or volunteers been DBS (CRB) checked?