Skip to main content
Staffordshire County Council services

*Children's education Speech and Language Therapy (Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust)

A children’s Education Speech and Language Therapy service is commissioned by Staffordshire County Council to support specific children and young people aged 0-25 who are resident in Staffordshire.

The service carries out assessment and therapy with children and young people with speech, language and communication needs at the request of the County Council, usually in a school or education setting.

The service offers:

  • Assessment
  • Advice
  • Diagnosis-if appropriate
  • Therapy – this may be direct (therapist working directly with child) or indirect (therapist working through a parent, carer or other professional such as a teaching assistant)
  • Programmes and resources to support work at home and in a school setting
  • Training for School/Education staff.

Who can use your service?

Children and young people aged 0-25 who are resident in Staffordshire, with speech and language needs. The children who are eligible for the service may:

  • have Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health Care Plan (EHCP) which details Speech and Language Therapy,
  • be in key stage 1 or 2 and require an enhanced level of Speech and Language Therapy intervention delivered in the school setting or education setting supporting access to the school curriculum.

Are there any costs?

There are no costs.

How do I refer?

Referrals can be made by:

  • Chair of the Early Years Forum
  • SEND Assessment & Planning Service
  • Health commissioned speech and language therapists can make referrals to the enhanced service for children aged 5-11 years.

What happens after referral?

The Speech and Language Therapist will assess your child’s speech, language and communication skills using pictures, toys and other items .This will usually take place in a school setting.

The Speech and Language Therapist will talk to your child and to you and other individuals who work with your child in school to gain information that will help the development of a therapy programme.

Who will we see?

The team delivering this service includes Speech and Language Therapists and Speech and Language Therapy Assistants.

What happens when I come to the service?

A therapy programme will be developed. It will involve the Speech and Language Therapy staff and others, including education staff, carrying out specific activities with your child. There will be clear aims to support the development of your child’s communication skills and these will be regularly reviewed by the Speech and Language Therapist in school.

What happens when I become an adult?

 A referral can be made to adult services.

Who to contact

0300 123 1161 (Standard rate telephone number)
Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent - Speech and Language Therapy

Where to go

Midlands Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Morston House
The Midway
ST5 1QG Get Directions (This link opens in a new tab)

Other Details


Age Ranges
Referral required
Other notes

The following links take you to some information for children with speech, language and communication difficulties:

Local Offer

SEN Provision Type
Last updated: 15 Jul 2019
Is this information correct?
Back to top