Skip to main content

Children's short breaks in North Staffordshire

Provided by Action for Children.

We offer residential and community short breaks to individuals living in the Newcastle-under-Lyme, Moorlands and Staffordshire districts of the County.

  • Residential short breaks - includes weekend stays and short breaks during school holidays.
  • Community short breaks - includes support for children and young people to access their community as well as an after school club run by the Provider.

Who can use your service?

This Short Breaks Service is not a universal service. To use the service the child or young person:

  1.  must be aged 17 years or under and have a disability, and
  2.  must live in the districts of Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire Moorlands and Stafford with the County of Staffordshire, and;
  3. or their parents, carers and families must have been assessed by a Social Worker and agreed as needing a short breaks service.

Are there any costs?

There may be additional costs if you wish to use the service more than you are entitled to, or if you wish to collect your child later on a Sunday afternoon.

How can I refer?

The referral must be made by a Social Worker once they have assessed the needs of the child or young person and their family.

What happens after referral?

The Provider and Social Worker will be in touch to arrange transition days for the child or young person to be introduced to the service. A plan will be put in place to ensure it meets the needs of the child or young person.

Who will we see?

The Social Worker and members of staff from the Short Breaks Service.

What happens when I come to the service?

The child or young person will be able to have tea visits to introduce them to the service and get to know others that attend as well as the staff. The child or young person will get a choice in what they wish to do, this could be to learn independent living skills, socialise with friends, be offered support with person care if needed.

What happens when I become an adult?

A transition plan should be put in place with the child or young persons social workers and Adult Learning Disability Team to enable the child or young person to have an assessment of their needs and to arrange for any identified needs to be met.

Local Offer

Last updated: 22 Nov 2018
Is this information correct?
Back to top