Family Hub HomeZone Cooking
Welcome to our Family Hub Cooking Page
Deciding what to cook can be difficult as there is so much to take into consideration, such as:
- Meals that everyone will enjoy.
- Finding inspiration of what meals to cook and how to try new things.
- Making sure the meals are healthy and nutritious.
- Buying the ingredients whilst trying to keep to a tight budget.
- Figuring out what to buy with your Free School Meal Vouchers that will provide lunch time meals for a whole week.
This is where we are here to help. Staffordshire County Council has worked in partnership with Family Action to produce very simple recipes for you to try and that are low cost to make as well as weekly Free School Meal ideas and shopping lists.
Each of the recipes include familiar ingredients that you may find in your cupboards, they are simple to follow for the most novice cooks and children can also get involved. We also have videos available for some of our recipes, all of which have step by step instructions that are easy to follow.
How do I find out more?
We have set up two pages on Staffordshire Connects for you to explore, please click below.
We also have a variety of other resources to help you, click on the required link below.
- Making meal times relaxed and fun
- Ideas to eat well for less
- Exploring new foods with children
- How to keep safe in the kitchen
- Guide to a well balanced diet
- What can cooking teach your child?
- Your Family Hub Cook Book
How can I get involved?
Throughout the year we will be using our Family Hub Facebook pages to post recipes giving everyone a chance to get involved. You can post your own creations and share hints and tips on how to improve the recipes by swopping ingredients. If you have any new ideas, please feel free to also share these with our Facebook pages by tagging us into your post, or sending them through Personal Messenger.
Local Family Hubs Facebook pages:
- Staffordshire Moorlands district
- Newcastle district
- East Staffordshire district
- Stafford district
- Cannock Chase district
- Lichfield district
- Tamworth district
- South Staffordshire district
Some Useful Links
To help you with more support and ideas on cooking on a budget with your family we have included some links below, just click on the blue highlighted wording to be taken to the webpage:
- Grow Up Great - Fun ways you can improve your families help from birth to 11years.
- Change for Life - Gives you the latest food facts, recipes to try and activities' to help you family eat well and move more.
- Healthy Start Vouchers - If you’re pregnant or have children under the age of 4 and on a low income, you can apply for free vouchers to spend on milk, fresh food and vitamins for your child.
- The Eatwell Guide - The Eatwell Guide shows how much of what we eat overall should come from each food group to achieve a healthy, balanced diet.
- Henry - Supporting the whole family to make positive lifestyle changes, creating healthier and happier home environments, and building healthier communities.
- Sensory Food Education - Get insights on how sensory food education can help young children engage with food, and benefit them in early years (EY) settings.
- Preparing Food Safely for Children - A video sharing information and guidance on preparing and serving food to reduce the risk of choking.
- Referral required
- Other notes
We all need additional support sometimes, if you are struggling financially or need help with finding your local foodbank for example we are here to help. There is a variety of support available for you to access, contact your local Family Hub or if you need financial support visit our Staffordshire County Council Money Matters page.
- Have staff or volunteers been DBS (CRB) checked?