Emotional Support Therapy - Dogs Minds Matter
I am a dog behaviourist and psychologist qualified to degree level and together with my dogs we provide bespoke training for vulnerable children and adults. Working in local schools and training centres and using a collaborative style approach alongside therapists and teachers we have seen some life changing positive benefits for the students that I work with.
My dogs allow me to establish an emotional link with students who are autistic, have PTSD, attachment disorders or have suffered from abuse or neglect, who would usually find it very challenging to engage with another person. Dogs act as a social lubricant, encouraging and enhancing social interactions, bridging social gaps and developing the ability to relate to another sentient being.
As well as working with individual students on a one to one basis I also work alongside students in classrooms helping them develop awareness and strategies to deal with their own emotions. Some of the main topics that I work with my students are:
- developing social and cognitive development,
- developing positive social cohesion skills,
- understanding emotions and emotional processing and
- building their own emotional crisis intervention plan.
Dogs are fantastic emotional regulators and throughout the classroom and home environments I have received very positive feedback from, parents, students, therapists and teachers as to the effectiveness of this style of intervention. Working with a dog is a fantastic way to secure social which is the foundation for healthy functioning and mental health.I work with two dogs, Angus a rescue German Wirehaired Pointer who is 3 years old and Chester a 12 month old male Springer Spaniel who is in training. Many of the functions of the dogs brain are the same as a humans and in particular the emotional brain, which is where I draw parallels to the human - animal bond.I also provide educational and therapy video sessions for my students, certificates of achievement for lessons and a folder that the students can take ownership of. The folder may contain images of the dogs that they work with together with lesson material and any out of school projects.I work within the age group of 10 years to adults but would be very happy to work within any other specified age group.
Who to contact
- Table of costs
Table of costs Amount Cost Type £35.00 per hour
- Service is Free
- There are no additional mileage costs for sites within Staffordshire.
- Referral required
- Other notes
- Have staff or volunteers been DBS (CRB) checked?
- Additional Information
- Please use this link to access my latest blog which includes training, background, the work I am currently doing and references https://dogsmindsmatter.com/2020/02/11/street-dog-providing-emotional-support-in-schools
- Your dogs emotional cup - My latest educational video for my students at Wenlock Schoolhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GglqBvrsJ7k&t=218s