Children's Social Care Occupational Therapy - equipment and adaptations at home


Aids and adaptations - disabled facilities grant

Equipment and adaptations can help support disabled children and their families with all activities of daily living - promoting long term independence, safety and wellbeing.

For disabled children, the extent to which their home environment meets their individual needs can have a significant impact on their development and pose considerable risks in relation to the safety of both the child and the parent/carers supporting them.

Alongside your child’s allocated Occupational Therapist/Occupational Therapy Assistant adaptations, funded via the disabled facilities grant, are completed by the following providers:

  • Millbrook - If you live in Lichfield, Newcastle-under-Lyme, South Staffordshire, Stafford, Staffordshire Moorlands or Tamworth information can be found supported independent living in Staffordshire service
  • Local District borough – If you live in East Staffordshire or Cannock Chase

What we do

Understanding how your home can work for your child and family

Our children’s disability service occupational therapy team work exclusively with children and young people from 0-18 and have a specialist knowledge of the equipment and adaptations available to maximise the independence, safety and wellbeing within the home for this age range.

If your current home needs adapting

If your child requires adaptations these can be funded via a disabled facilities grant which is available from your local council and for children is not means tested. These adaptations must be to make caring for your child easier or to increase your child's level of independence or safety at home. The grant is paid if your council considers that the proposed changes are necessary to meet your child's needs, and that the work is both reasonable and practical depending on the age and condition of the property.

This can include major adaptations such as extensions and structural work to accommodate, for example, a ceiling track hoist, through floor lift, widened doorways, an external ramp, or a downstairs bathroom.

An assessment of your circumstances and home environment will happen before any required adaptation(s) are recommended.

Any proposed work must have permission from the owner of the property, planning permission and fall within building regulations.

Should you wish for additional specifications or adaptations above and beyond that which has been identified as the mandatory scheme to be provided there is potential to explore what is referred to as a ‘preferred scheme’ in which you can supplement the financial difference as long as it is confirmed to meet child’s needs.


There are different options depending on where you currently reside, and where you want to reside to be able to lead the lifestyle that you want. The provider can discuss all these options and then support you in finding a suitable property and this may be far less disruptive and expensive than extended building work.

Who can use the service?

You can apply if the answer to the following four statements is yes:

  • The child living in your property, is disabled.
  • Parent/carer or the child on whose behalf you are applying, are the owner or tenant of the property which is the child’s main residence.
    Note: a landlord may apply on behalf of a disabled tenant.
  • You are willing to certify that the child on whose behalf you are applying, intend to occupy the property as your/their main or only residence throughout the 5 year grant period.
  • The child on whose behalf you are applying, live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland.
    Note: Scottish residents should contact their local social services department for information on their home improvement grants.


The maximum grant that can be awarded in England is £30,000.The grant will only be paid on work assessed as necessary, and when the council or home improvement agency are satisfied that the work has been carried out.

Always check what help is available before starting work on your home to make it suitable for you or your child. Grants will not usually be provided retrospectively.

Disabled facilities grants are not means tested so long as the grant is provided to meet the needs of a disabled child (under 19 years of age).

For more information on disabled facilities grants, see the Direct Gov website.

How can I refer?

If the adaptations are for a child, you can arrange for an assessment by contacting First Response on telephone: 0800 1313 126 (Monday to Thursday 8.30am - 5.00pm and Friday 8.30am - 4.30pm) or email 

If the adaptations are for an adult, you can contact Staffordshire Cares on 0300 111 8010 to speak to an advisor.

Contact your local district or borough council for more information.


Save to Shortlist
Skip back to top of page