Merryfields School, Newcastle
Merryfields School is a generic Special School, for pupils aged 2 to 11 with special educational needs. In addition to pupils with moderate and severe learning difficulties we cater for the needs of pupils with very specific special educational needs, including Autistic Spectrum Condition, Profound and Multiple Learning Difficulties and significant sensory difficulties.
We provide a broad, balanced and highly personalised curriculum which will enable each individual to participate as members of their community, to become as independent as possible and to achieve their potential. Within Merryfields, the curriculum, classroom environment and lessons are amended to ensure pupils make the best possible progress in all areas of learning and development
Who to contact
Where to go
- Merryfields School
- ST5 9NY Get Directions (This link opens in a new tab)
- Referral Details
Aims and Ethos
- For pupils to make the best possible progress in all areas of learning and development through high quality teaching, which is imaginative and challenging.
- To provide a broad, balanced and appropriate curriculum, with individual targets.
- To ensure pupils are guided towards independence and that they have challenging demands made of them.
- To promote good relationships amongst pupils and to encourage pupils to value each other.
- To encourage the development of positive attitudes and positive behaviour in partnership with the whole community.
- To ensure school is a happy place to work and visit, and where success and achievement are celebrated daily.
- To provide a safe, happy, caring, stimulating environment wherein each pupil is able to develop to their maximum potential.
To do this we:
- Deliver a balanced and appropriate curriculum to meet the needs of pupils and differentiate for those who require a more flexible approach to learning
- Deliver enrichment activities to add quality and breadth to the curriculum offered
- Help pupils make sense of their own behaviour and to improve self-confidence and self-worth
- Promote and value links with families to work in partnership with the school
- Ensure effective resources are utilised to maximise the opportunity for every pupil to lead safe, happy, healthy and successful lives.