Family Practitioner Service Staffordshire - Early Help

Staffordshire County Council

What we do

The Family Practitioner Service offer support for families who may be facing multiple or complex difficulties. 

Family Practitioners are able to provide 1:1 support for children and young people.  They can also help parents and carers with difficulties they may be having, which are affecting family life.

Examples include:

  • emotional wellbeing work
  • parenting support & behaviour management
  • healthy relationships
  • safety in the community
  • addressing domestic violence in adult relationships
  • alcohol or substance dependency

Each family will have their own plan and this may involve the Family Practitioner Service working closely with other agencies to get the right help at the right time. 

Who can use the Early Help service?

The Family Practitioner Service work with children from pre-birth to 18 years old and their families, who live in Staffordshire.

How can I refer?

Referrals can be made by parents or professionals. It may help to speak to your child’s school for help with making a referral.

Referrals are made by calling Staffordshire Children’s Advice and Support Service on 0300 111 8007, select option 1, then option 3.

Opening times

  • Monday to Thursday 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
  • Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

 If you cannot reach by phone, please make your enquiry online

What happens after referral?

Staffordshire Children’s Advice and Support Service will share referral information with the Family Practitioner Service.

A member of the Family Practitioner Service will contact you by telephone to arrange a home visit. This visit will usually take place within 10 working days from the call to Staffordshire Children’s Advice and Support Service.

Who will we see?

You will see a Family Practitioner who will come to see you and your children at home. A Family Practitioner may go and see your children in school.  A Family Practitioner will also see you using video calls. 

What happens when I come to the service? 

The Family Practitioner Service will complete an early help assessment.  This will look at areas of support that your family may need and help to identify how best to help you.

What happens when I leave the service? 

Usually this is agreed between the Family Practitioner and the family when positive change has been made.

The Family Practitioner may also give you information about other local support services which you can access in the future.

How do I find out more?

Early Help in Staffordshire

Some families may need a short period of support and advice for one or two areas of family life.  This is where Early Help services can support. 

More information on these family support services can be found here.  

Who to contact

Contact Name
Staffordshire Children’s Advice and Support Service
0300 111 8007 Monday-Thursday 8.30-5.00 & Friday 8.30-4.30 0300 111 8007 Monday-Thursday 8.30-5.00 & Friday 8.30-4.30
Report a concern online
Scan to visit this website

Is the child at risk of immediate harm?

If you believe the child to be at risk of immediate harm, this must be reported to the police on 999 or 101. Once you have reported to the police, please contact Staffordshire Children’s Advice and Support Service or Emergency Duty Team


Save to Shortlist
Skip back to top of page