Skip to main content

Educational Psychology Service

Staffordshire County Council services

We support schools, other educational settings and the Local Authority in meeting the needs of children and young people, with severe and complex Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Who can use your service?

Educational settings in Staffordshire, including maintained schools and academies, have the opportunity to purchase Educational Psychology time to support children and young people.

The Local Authority also commission Educational Psychologists to fulfil statutory duties relating to special educational needs and disability.

Are there any costs?

Our work is commissioned by schools and the Local Authority so there is no cost to the children, young people and families we work with.

How can I refer?

We are not commissioned to receive direct referrals from parents/carers or children and young people.

However, if parents/carers have concerns about their child/young person that may need the support of an Educational Psychologist (EP) they should contact the Special Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at their school/college, who can contact the service if they have purchased Educational Psychology Service time. 

What happens after referral?

What happens after the request for support depends on the specific concerns raised.  All of our work is needs-based and therefore will vary greatly in response to the individual circumstances of the child or young person.   If the focus of the work is an individual child or group of children informed parental consent is always confirmed prior to work being undertaken.

Who will we see?

Depending upon the concern raised, the Educational Psychologist may work with teachers or other school staff, with groups of children or with individual children.

Educational Psychologists work with educational settings on a range of different types of work including:

  • Collaborative consultation with setting staff, parents and children/young people
  • Assessment and intervention, as part of the graduated response within the SEND Code of Practice.  This may include observation and assessments in different contexts, data collection and advice to staff on the development of effective teaching and learning strategies
  • Planning interventions with small groups or individual children/young people to facilitate the development of emotional well-being
  • Support to promote inclusive practice
  • Partnership working with other professionals
  • Transition planning from early years and across school phases
  • Training and support to small groups of staff or whole staff groups in a range of areas, including challenging behaviour, learning and emotional well-being.

What happens when I come to the service?

Educational Psychologists work in the community in schools and educational settings.  The main focus for the work of an Educational Psychologist is to provide advice and support to schools and educational settings staff to meet children and young people’s needs. 

However, in certain circumstances the Educational Psychologists may want to see you and your child their school or educational setting.  Very occasionally, we may ask to see you at home.  If the Educational Psychologist has been asked to work with your child, you will be contacted for your consent and will work in partnership with you throughout the period of involvement.

What happens when I become an adult?

When required, Educational Psychologists work with staff in colleges and young people up to the age of 25 years.

How do I find out more? 

For more details about the work of the Educational Psychology Service please contact the District Senior Educational Psychologist at your local District Office.  Alternatively you may wish to contact Julia Anderson, County Manager


Tel: 01785 278964

Who to contact

Contact Name
Staffordshire County Council
0300 1118007

Where to go

Staffordshire County Council Educational Psychology Service
Floor 2 Block B
Education Offices
Tipping Street
ST16 2DH Get Directions (This link opens in a new tab)
Last updated: 19 Apr 2021
Is this information correct?