Skip to main content

Special educational needs and disability support in mainstream schools

Information about special educational needs support in mainstream schools.

Our Extra help page can tell you more about specialist services that settings can contact.

Adapting the curriculum and/or environment in schools

Please see our page on adapting the curriculum and/or environment in schools which contains information on:

  • schools responsibilities
  • local authority duties
  • Equality Act 2010 
  • inclusion team

SEN support in schools - the graduated approach

Our page on SEN support in schools provides information on:

  • what extra support can be provided
  • assess, plan, do, review cycle and template form


What if I disagree with the support provided?

The first step would be to talk to the teacher, Special Educational Needs Coordinator, or headteacher.

SENDIASS  provide a range of leaflets, including one on what to do if you do not agree with decisions about special educational needs provision.  They can also listen to your concerns and talk you through the options. This is a free, confidential and impartial service for parents, carers, children and young people.

See information on the disagreement resolution service, including who can use the service, what it covers, and what happens at a dispute resolution meeting.